Today's Kindness #177: September 28, 2022
👋👋Be A Good Neighbor!👋👋
National Good Neighbor Day on September 28th creates an opportunity for neighbors to get to know each other better. This day acknowledges and celebrates the importance of a good neighbor.
It is a blessing to have a good neighbor, but it is an even greater thing to BE a good neighbor. Good neighbors often become friends. They watch out for each other, lend a helping hand, and are there for advice when asked. Neighbors offer that cup of sugar when we are short, collect our mail when we are on vacation, watch our homes, and sometimes watch our children and our pets. Simply put, being a good neighbor makes good neighbors and develops lifelong friendships.
Being a good neighbor isn't all that difficult. Starting with kindness is always the first step.
- Offer a kind word. Even a small compliment goes a long way to creating a bond or breaking down barriers.
- Bring extra bounty from your garden or baked goods.
- Invite them to join an informal celebration in your home.
- Introduce them to your pets or offer a gardening tip.
- Ask who they recommend for a service such as taxes, painting, or car care. You will earn their respect, especially if the question is something they have first-hand experience with.
- Use #GoodNeighborDay to post on social media.
"To love our neighbor as ourselves is such a truth for regulating human society, that by that alone one might determine all the cases in social morality."
~ John Locke