Today's Kindness #216: November 15, 2022
On November 15th, National Philanthropy Day honors those who give back to their communities.
The word philanthropy comes from Latin and Greek philanthropia which gives us kindliness, humanity, and love for mankind. From this, we take the Philo (tending to, fond of) and join Anthropos meaning mankind or human beings.
Philanthropists give their time and money in ways that provide a lasting impact.
- Supports education through scholarships, grants, foundations, and more
- Foundations support scientific research
- Development of charities
- Funding grants to programs for local, national, and international needs
- Encourage art through grants and foundations
- Invest in advocacy platforms for the underprivileged
The day recognizes philanthropists for their many significant contributions, help, and good deeds and for the differences that they have made in our lives and our communities.
How To Observe:
- Learn more about the kinds of philanthropy in your community.
- Read books on the history of philanthropy in the United States.
- Share how philanthropy has impacted your community.
- Support your favorite philanthropic organization.
- Volunteer for a local organization.
- Share your favorite organization's page and your favorite projects.
- Use #NationalPhilanthropyDay to post on social media.
"Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others."
~ Booker T. Washington