Today's Kindness #255: January 17, 2023
On January 17th, International Mentoring Day fosters a global understanding of the mentoring movement throughout the world. The day also raises awareness for the global contributions of mentoring.
Mentoring usually involves a more knowledgeable person sharing wisdom with someone who has less experience. Mentors share their skills in the workplace, schools, places of worship, and professional organizations.
Wherever one might need guidance, there are usually mentors. Those who are mentors usually find the position to be rewarding, too. Mentoring is also a great way to influence young people.
Being a mentee comes with many benefits, including:
- Increased chance of graduating from high school
- Healthier relationships with others and make better lifestyle choices
- Better attitude about school
- Improved self-esteem, self-confidence, and behavior
- Less likely to abuse alcohol or drugs
It's not just the mentees that will benefit, however. Mentors feel good about impacting another person's life and future. Mentoring can also help them gain a new perspective on certain problems. Being a mentor even improves communication and leadership skills.
How To Observe:
- Find someone to mentor or get involved in a local mentoring organization such as the Pueblo Mentoring Collab or United Way
- If you can't get involved, donate to a mentoring organization.
- Learn more about the benefits of mentoring for both the mentor and mentee.
- Share this day on social media with #InternationalMentoringDay.
"A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you."
~ Bob Proctor
P.S. Today we encourage you to donate to your local animal shelter in honor of what would've been Betty White's 101st birthday.