Today's Kindness #384: September 12, 2023
September 12th recognizes the National Day of Encouragement each year. This day is dedicated to uplifting people around us and making a positive impact.
Encouragement is free. It never costs us anything to say a few words to inspire a student, coworker, or friend. Even a reassuring word to a stranger may make a difference in their lives.
Encouragement lifts someone when they are down. It also motivates a person who has an eye on a goal. When we have failed, the right words remind us to keep trying. The right message may create a spark that changes a loved one's perspective.
Sometimes, the act of noticing a job well done improves someone's day. Recognizing emerging talents motivates us to speak up and offer a kind word or helpful tip. It is a practice worth having to improve relationships at work, at home, and in the world around us. There really is no simpler way.
Acts of encouragement require so little - a bit of time, the right words, and noticing accomplishments, even small ones. Encourage someone you know in many ways:
- Let them know you noticed their progress.
- Provide reassurance and inspiration to the people around you.
- Give someone a hug or a high five for a job well done as it is also National Hug & High 5 Day!
- Take notice when a friend is getting close to a hard-earned goal, encouraging them to keep going.
- Send a card or give a call or text to a family member who may be struggling.
- Show your support by attending a friend's performance, sporting event, or exhibit.
"Today is your day. You're full of confidence and energy and you have plans and you know where you're going. Your course is plotted. The journey itself is your destination. The path is your purpose."
~ Savannah Guthrie